The Unity Through Partnerships (UTP) Grants Program is funded through the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship (OMAC).
The objectives of the UTP Grants Program are to: encourage cross-cultural exchanges and mutual respect; promote greater unity by celebrating, sharing and appreciating our differences; and, develop strong, sustainable relationships between partnering organisations.
In order to achieve this, the UTP Grants Program aims to support major multicultural festivals and events in Victoria that:
- foster cross-cultural connections by encouraging community organisations from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds to work in partnership on a joint project;
- showcase the vibrancy of multiculturalism through festivals and/or events that encourage the participation of the whole community;
- demonstrate the benefits of cultural, linguistic and religious diversity to the broader Victorian community;
- build the capacity and experience of participating community organisations through mutual support, skills development, knowledge sharing and mentoring between partnering organisations;
- develop sustainable relationships between partner organisations with a view to maintaining partnerships after the completion of the project;
- provide opportunities for meaningful and sustainable participation and engagement of a wide range of Victorians, with emphasis on new and emerging communities or groups currently under-represented in community activities; and,
- promote education and awareness of racial and religious diversity and acceptance in Victoria.
Priority is given to projects demonstrating:
- opportunities for organisations to engage in practical training and capacity building opportunities throughout the funding period; and
- willingness to maintain sustainable relationships between partnering organisations after the project and funding period concludes.
What funding is available?
The UTP Grants Program is funded with $1.1 million per annum. Organisations may apply for up to $100,000. In previous rounds, grants have ranged in value from $10,000 to $100,000.
What type of projects might be funded?
The information below provides examples of projects and activities funded through the UTP Grants Program. It is expected that funded projects will involve ongoing engagement, knowledge sharing and capacity building across partner organisations, and will culminate in a public event or festival. Examples of funded projects include:
- Cultural Events – celebrations of cultural and religious days of significance which seek to involve a wide range of Victorians, and are organised in collaboration between partners that represent different cultural, ethnic and/or faith communities and the local community.
- Multicultural Festivals and Events – local multicultural festivals and joint events hosted by multicultural organisations. This could also include large-scale regional multicultural street festivals that involve a range of multicultural organisations celebrating the diversity of a particular area.
For further information please contact the UTP Grants Team on 9651 2931.
Applications for the UTP Grants Program closed on 5 April 2013. Applications submitted after this date may not be considered.
Click here for the Guidelines. Organisations interested in applying for a UTP grant in future are strongly encouraged to read the Guidelines before completing an application.