The Victorian Multicultural Commission (VMC) established eight Regional Advisory Councils across the state in 2012. The role of the Regional Advisory Councils are to:
- Inform the Commission about issues and challenges impacting multicultural communities in their region.
- Keep the Commission abreast on matters of multicultural affairs, settlement, access to services and citizenships issues, including equitable outcomes for multicultural communities.
- Assist the Commission in its commitment to multicultural affairs in the local regions, including promoting the benefits of cultural, linguistic and religious diversity.
- Identify potential pathways and opportunities for participation and connecting communities, activities and events to strengthen community capacity.
Three Regional Advisory Councils are based in Melbourne and surrounds - Eastern Metropolitan, North & West Metropolitan and Southern Metropolitan.
Five Councils are based in rural and regional Victoria - Barwon South West, Hume, Loddon Mallee, Gippsland and Grampians.
Each Regional Advisory Council is comprised of:
- local community members;
- local service providers delivering services to migrant and multicultural communities;
- local business and community representatives; and
- local government representatives.
Please contact RAC Secretariat for further information, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (03) 7017 8147.
Regional Advisory Council Recruitment 2017
The Victorian Multicultural Commission has newly appointed community members, business and local government representatives and service providers interested in representing multicultural affairs in their region through the Regional Advisory Councils.
The Commission has welcomed both new and continuing Regional Advisory Council members from 53 different cultural backgrounds to continue the important work of advocating for their communities.
Member recruitment focussed on including young people and people from refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds among the Councils.
Members will meet three times per year over the course of their two-year roles.
Under a new operating model for the Councils, members will be able to connect more directly with decision-makers throughout consultations and co-host broader public consultations in their region with the Commission.
For all queries about the Regional Advisory Councils, please contact RAC Secretariat via email email@example.com or phone (03) 7017 8147.